- The lost art of pickpocketing: Why has the crime become so rare in the United States? – By Joe Keohane – Slate Magazine
- Foundations and Revolutions
- Climate reformists challenge old economic models
- The Koch brothers as Wisconsin puppet masters
- Defunding the Democratic Party
- The Shaky Foundation of Free-Market Environmentalism
- Charter schools are the Justin Bieber of education reform – a fad gone too far
- The real Republican strategy
- Hate the Unions? Time to Put Your Money Paid Vacation Days Where Your Mouth Is
- Rise of the Sockpuppets
- Coal Bombshell in NYT
- 127 New Dimensions And Metrics Available In The API
- Better donation analytics with eCommerce tracking in Google Analytics
- When The Revolution Comes
- Google Finds It Hard to Reinvent Philanthropy
Google.org = fail. Sigh.
- Facebook and sadness
- The Viral Me
- The Energy Foundation: A Major Speed-Freak Grantmaker
- Vermont Challenging Corporate Personhood
- Introducing the Amazon Simple Email Service (AWS Evangelist/Amazon Web Services Blog)
- Conservative Supreme Court justices no longer bothering to avoid appearance of conflicts of interest
- New York Times Readies Pay Wall (Russell Adams/Wall Street Journal)
- All budget cuts are not equal
- The Overton Window of political violence
Right-wing lies and exaggerations are more than just a Rovian campaign tactic that stirs up emotions and turns out the vote. They serve to shift the Overton Window of political solutions toward the acceptability of violence. When this is combined with major media figures that seem to delight in provoking discussion of reloading, as well as a base that seems to fantasize about killing people they don’t like, an escalation of political violence should come as no surprise. And fixing one problem alone won’t do the trick.
- Bad Climate for Global Warming
- The role of the Internet as a platform for collective action grows – O'Reilly Radar
- What Really Happened to 15 Million Jobs?
- Corporate ‘personal privacy’? Case watched for any hint of Supreme Court bias.
- Bore Surfing
- Transit Master Plan Progresses: Looking at Trips
- Palin: Criticism of conservatives will result in violence
- Insurrectionism Timeline – Coalition to Stop Gun Violence
- Python wins the TIOBE Programming Language Award of 2010
- On the Debt Ceiling, Silence is Golden: Let Wall Street Battle the Tea Party
- Is Obama’s EPA trying to implement ‘backdoor cap-and-trade’? Um, no.
- Theses About Foundations
- I have found the cognitive surplus, and it hates pigs
- How Maury Island’s mining opponents finally prevailed
- Wherein we witness a public brawl about journalism, privacy, and ethics
- Pickens Wind-Power Plan Comes To a Whimpering End
- Environmental community shifts focus away from Washington with ‘think local’ strategies
- Dear Governor Gregoire;
- Let's talk parenting taboos: Rufus Griscom + Alisa Volkman | Video on TED.com
- Monbiot.com » Reclaim the Cyber-Commons
- Mechanical Turk: Now with 40.92% spam. (Panos Ipeirotis/A Computer Scientist …)
- Netsight Developers: Have the vendor open source companies ruined it for the rest of us and if so what do we call ourselves now?
- Where the filibuster reform campaign stands
- Warren Buffett on Philanthropy
- Two Social Media Technologies That Will Transform the Nonprofit World
- An Unfortunate Decision by Peter Orszag
- Invaders from Mars
- Close the Washington Monument
- Blog – How OpenID Lost to Facebook Connect in the Battle for Your Online Identity
- Why The GOP Is Like Bear Bryant
- The Missing WikiLeaks Debate
- What is Social Justice Philanthropy?
- New directions in web architecture. Again.
- House Republicans battle over committees, reinforce orthodoxy
- Will the Courts Overturn I-1053?
- Changing behavior: it ain’t easy
- Wolves in the server room.
Upper right corner
- The “unserious” deficit commission proposal
- Cash Register Receipts Full of BPA
- Twenty-Five Theses …
- Why did the Prop 23 fight in California go so well while the national effort flailed?
- Tell From McConnell
- New Google Tool Makes Websites Twice as Fast
- The best campaign of the cycle
- Blog – Chatbot Wears Down Proponents of Anti-Science Nonsense
- “If all You Have is a Hammer” – How Useful is Humanitarian Crowdsourcing? | MobileActive.org
Wow, amazing critique of crowdsourcing humanitarian response.
- Debunking Theories of Change, Part 2 of 2
- It’s Not the Economy, Stupid
- Debunking Theories of Change, Part 1 of 2
- In Kansas, Climate Skeptics Embrace Cleaner Energy
- How to Read a War Carpet
- Open space advocates think big
- mefi coop: how to turn metafilter into a CC cooperative
- Introducing ‘climate hawks’
- Salesforce.com picks Seattle for new development office
- Cascade Bike Club: Board Coup Imminent?
- Paul Everitt: Lifestyle Inc. Redux
- Magic green ingredient? Peer pressure
- Woman arrested after stabbing at Bellevue College anger management class
- Highlights from our chat with reporter Ryan Lizza on Senate climate politics
- There is no one correct climate policy
- Truth Lies Here – How can Americans talk to one another … (Michael Hirschorn/The Atlantic Online)
- Activism of Thomas’s Wife Could Raise Judicial Issues – NYTimes.com
Incompetent, corrupt and unaccountable: Clarence Thomas.
- The Virtuous (News) Cycle
- The Real Cost of Metrics: Transparency & The Truth
- Lessons from the climate fight: determined ignorance in the Senate
- Lessons from the climate fight: it’s the Senate, stupid
- Breaking: Cascade Bicycle Club Director Asked to Leave
Wow, huge instability in both Seattle and Portland’s leading bike organizations.
- Ryan Lizza: Inside the Senate’s battle over climate change.
- TARP Bailout to Cost Less Than Once Anticipated
- Cisco to Unveil an Affordable Home TelePresence Product for Consumers Next Week (Kara Swisher/BoomTown)
- What Gladwell Gets Wrong: The Real Problem is Scale Mismatch (Plus, Weak and Strong Ties are Complementary and Supportive) | technosociology
Good riff on Gladwell’s piece, with some good comments.
- Twitter, Facebook, and social activism
- The Power of Conventional Wisdom – NYTimes.com
- Iran Fights Strong Virus Attacking Computers – NYTimes.com
This just keeps getting more interesting.
- Stuxnet malware is 'weapon' out to destroy … Iran's Bushehr nuclear plant? – CSMonitor.com
- Freddie Foxxx’s glaring omission notwithstanding
- Three policies supported by the public but feared by politicians
- Andy Borowitz: The Good Enough Baby.
- One Wisconsin Now uncovers organized voter suppression effort
Tea Party + Republicans = racist, anti-democratic thugs.
- The Way We Live Now – Home-Schooling for the Techno-Literate – NYTimes.com
Lucid, if vague.
- Massive Incrementalism
- No, liberals did not ‘overreach’ on climate
- A bird app that adapts on the fly – O'Reilly Radar
- The Rise of Apps Culture (Pew Internet)
- LED bulbs in the home: So far, so good | Green Tech – CNET News
- Ad Buying by G.O.P.-Leaning Groups Alarms Democrats – NYTimes.com
- Above the Law – Russia Uses Microsoft to Suppress Dissent – NYTimes.com
- Global warming is a winnable war
- Court Says First Sale Doctrine Doesn't Apply To Licensed Software
- More, faster trains between Seattle and Portland
- Fixing the group that's supposed to fix Puget Sound || Crosscut.com
- Why the Stimulus Ran Out of Steam
- Untangling the ‘Environmentalist’s Paradox’: Is It All About Speed?
- Networks and Autonomy « Alchemy of Change
Good stuff from Gideon!
- Conservation for the adrenaline crowd
- Big Door’s Badge-O-Matic brings badges to the Web masses
- Connecting Advocacy to Change | Web of Change
- What Minority Rule Looks Like
- It’s the Driving (Not the Texting), Stupid. Pt. 2
- Why our railways suck (in two graphs) | Grist
You reap what you sow.
- Building a springboard to the Next Seattle || Crosscut.com
- Before there was Beck, there was Coughlin
- The essence of Time
- A Letter To My Students
- Seattlest Pix 23August10
- The Tragic Death of Practically Everything
“Smell this one it’s dead.”
- Inside The Puget Sound Partnership
Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
- How close is too close?
- Tools for a successful Plone project
- Your Brain on Computers – Studying the Brain Off the Grid, Professors Find Clarity – NYTimes.com
- Is Consumerism Killing Our Creativity?
- Am I a media parasite?
- ‘Environmentalism’ can never address climate change
- Hierarchy of Robot Needs
- Will Amazon Become The King of Web Hosting Too?
- Logging Off: The Internet Generation Prefers the Real World – SPIEGEL ONLINE – News – International
“Generation Net” isn’t.
- Filibuster reform background: the constitutional option
- BIAW: environmentalists caused the Great Recession
- The Climate Desk: Time-Intensive Collaboration Pays Off
Network leadership on action!
- How To Spot A Flimflammer
- Resource: New Mobile App to Combat Climate Skeptics
- Transition is when you really appreciate keeping track of things
- Six Feet Up: High(er) Performance Single Server Hosting
- Bending The Curve
- Is cap-and-trade to blame for the death of the climate bill?
- How Did We Know The Stimulus Was Too Small?
- Gulf Surface Oil Vanishing Quickly
- In defense of the media
- Why did the climate bill fail?
- Danny Westneat | 'Self-made' myth divides us | Seattle Times Newspaper
- Danny Westneat | 'Self-made' myth divides us | Seattle Times Newspaper
- The Next US Climate Strategy: Celebrate the EPA
We should have been planning for this a year ago.
- The "Audacity" of "Pragmatism"
More on climate flail.
- On the death of the climate bill
- Content Here: Work Breakdown Structure vs. Deadlines
- In Online Journalism, Burnout Starts Younger – NYTimes.com
If you want to create the next generation in your industry, don’t burn them out in a year.
- Should programmers run for Congress?
- Utilities Quietly Try to Gut Clean Air Act as Climate Peacocks Squawk
- Op-Ed Columnist – Redo That Voodoo – NYTimes.com
- "Starve the beast" GOP not crazy after all – How the World Works – Salon.com
- Bobby's berms already washing away
- The Barefoot Bandit: I don't get it
Hard to believe that I’m saying this, but I’m with Knute here.
- Andreas Jung: Restoring an older state of arbitrary Zope objects
- Change coming slowly on climate law
Great big picture summary
- "The Environmentalists" and Deepwater Drilling – Jeanette DeMain – Open Salon
Definitive debunking of yet another right wing lie.
- The Real Sharron Angle
Nicely done, Senator Reid.
- Richard Conlin Interview, Part 1: Deep-Bore Tunnel is “green” solution | Bike Intelligencer
Good interview with Richard Conlin on the tunnel.
- Van Jones isn’t looking back in anger
- Views: Do enviros need to regroup on climate?
- Burrard Bridge bike lanes a success
Build it and the bikers will come. Awesome!